Sunday, August 27, 2006

My week

Well, I am really starting to notice a difference since I've been put on what I think is the proper medication for my condition. I have my down days/moments, but they are fewer and farther between as compared to before (somebody please knock on wood for me!!!)
My pdoc is slowly decreasing my Paxil (I was on 50mg, now I'm on 30mg) and she is increasing my Lamotrigine to 200mg/day (right now I'm at 75mg/day). I switch things up bi-weekly (up in Lamotrigine by 25mg and/or down in paxil by 10mg). She is wanting me to be completely off of Paxil by the time I am at 125mg of Lamotrigine/day...I really hope that the transition goes smoothly. Honestly, I'm a little nervous to be completely off of SSRI's, as I have been on them for so long. But hey, she's the one who has a doctorate in psychiatry, not me. I guess I just have a hard time trusting anybody with my brain, since I have been mis-diagnosed about 3 times now.
Anyhow, I've gotta get back to work now...please comment if you feel like you've been in the same boat...I could use the encouragement right about now:)
Thanks,
Shebee

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are going well for you -just have to trust the process and the pdoc, huh? I know that is hard-I have the same problem-being misdiagnosed doesn't help any of us--but bear in mind that most bipolar diagnosis's take a while so you are not alone in that either--and trust is a commodity we all have trouble with.

bp_hockey_chick said...

Good luck to you - you sound like things are going well so far, and in the beginning so many like us have trouble with their meds or docs.

Anonymous said...

Knocking wood for you! Knocking wood. Knock. Knock. Knock.

I definitely feel that I've been misdiagnosed and I've definitely got to the point where it's hard to trust anyone again. Yet, I have to believe that someone is gonna figure out the proper medications eventually and I believe the same for you.

Sending good thoughts.

tiara said...

Med switches are awful!! Hope your pdoc is getting you onto the right ones and the ups and downs stop for you.
I've been in the same boat, but I think the meds are finally right!

marja said...

All you can do is trust. I've found that when I don't trust, but fear instead, it doesn't help my illness any.

Hey Shebee! I'm excited! I just found you. You live in my city. The first person I've found online who is so close to me.

Check out my blog ok? We'll have to keep tabs on each other.
Also, when you read my blog, you will see that I just started a faith-based mood disorder support group at my church. We meet from 12 - 2 pm on the second and third Fridays of each month. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm so glad to have found you.

Unknown said...

Good luck to you - it sounds like your doc knows what he/she is doing, very slowly tapering off the Paxil. I've heard it can be brutal, but it sounds like you're okay for now.

And I'm so glad you're feeling better!!

Bleeding Heart said...

I knoww what you mean about being misdiagnosed. I had everything under the sun from Lupus to MS and then was finally diagnosed properly with Bipolar and Fibromyalgia.

Hope all is well and welcome to the group of US wonderful bipolar bloggers!!

BlondeBrony said...

It's so hard to find the right cocktail.